Wednesday, April 16, 2008

< Infopause: Garbage Island / >


Just before leaving for a conference in New Orleans two weeks ago, I got an email from the folks at VBS.TV (no, not Vacation Bible School - the language over there can be pretty coarse) letting me know about their own investigation of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch (see chapter 2) and a multi-part video they put together of their journey. Thomas Morton also wrote an account of what he saw out in the ocean gyre.

I can't agree with Morton that "the problem with all the bravado on both sides of the ecology debate is that nobody really knows what they’re talking about," and I try hard to keep from looking for "something huge and incontrovertibly awful [that] you can show anyone a picture of and go, 'See? We’re fucked.'" (Remember, I'm married to Pollyanna.) But he and his crew did some amazing documentary work, and it's been recognized by both CNN and ABC. Unfortunately, I was away from the computer when Morton was interviewed, and couldn't post the links or info before it aired.

But the episodes of Garbage Island speak for themselves.


1 comment:

Litchik1203 said...

I hope you are getting ready to send these chapters to a publisher. Can I be in the movie? :)